ABOUT Sleighton School
The historic campus of the former Sleighton School for girls contains his- toric buildings, including 19th and early 20th century school buildings, an imposing chapel, cottages, a stone barn, and 19th century farm structures as well as 350 acres of open space. Some of these historic buildings were designed by Cope and Stewardson who also designed educational build- ings at Princeton, Bryn Mawr, and the University of Pennsylvania. The campus has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sleighton School’s predecessor, the House of Refuge, was founded by Quakers in 1826 to handle juvenile delinquents. By 1906 however, the Philadelphia facilities were deemed too harsh an environment and the then-rural Sleighton School was constructed.
The school closed in 2001 due to financial difficulties. The property is now managed by Wolfington